Thursday, July 24, 2014

Super-Max Super Stainless Blue


Finally finished my pack of 5 Super-Max Super Stainless Blue double edge blades.

I think I took about 3 to 4 months to go through that little 90cent pack which works out to be about 3 weeks per blade and approximately 7 shaves per blade. I didn't change out the blade because I felt a drop in sharpness, but rather, it was because I was bored of it.

Longer than normal Super-max stainless steel Blue blades.

While the other blades I tried seemed rather mundane and worked just as it should, the Super-Max stood out because it was just a little larger than other blades, causing it to bend at the sides of the blade when screwed down into my Rimei budget razor. Most of my blades bend just so very slightly at the edges but the Super-Max Stainless Blue bends it so badly that it sometimes tear off a small portion of the blade. When that happens, the blade becomes straight again. Ironically, that makes things well again.

Could it be razor specific?

It may be. The Rimei razor head has notches at the corners of the head to keep the blade centered. Most blades will sit snugly between these notches with a tiny amount of bending at the sides. It is visible if you scrutinize it but no matter, most blades feel just as good as the other. I think the slight bending do help in keeping the blade rigid since the blade edge is quite exposed. I suspect that other razors which do not rely on these notches are going to be just fine when used with the blade.

Would I recommend it?

Not really. It was my first pack of blades I bought when I first started with double edge shaving. Since then, I learnt that it was possible to get a variety of brands from local shops and many of these brands are cheaper and fits well. I believe that razors and blades are very precise tools and the moment they are not made properly, it will affect its performance. Being bent at the side means that the effective shaving length decreases and you may have perform more passes, eventually leading to more irritation. Otherwise, the shave is not memorable.



No comments: